All Coast banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an amusing story about all the loosers out there. It's long, just to warn you, but I'm bored sitting here. So here goes:

I took my brother to SCI on Thursday. First time for both of us since we're local Channel Island guys, but wanted a new adventure. He moved to Indiana a year and a half ago and for his big forty, I paid for him to come out and go fishing. We were crossing our fingers to get out to the Cortez for the day, but by the time we reached the south end of Clamente, the outside was blowing 15-20kts. So we stuck it out and fished a pretty amazing bull bass bite for a couple hours on the inside.

Here's the good part. Around 10:30 AM this 26' (or so) speed boat with 3 teenagers and an adult at the helm come screeming by with twin 250 hp outboards. I look at my brother and laugh as he's running outside and say 'he's not going very far'. Well 3 minutes later he's turned around and coming our way. Comes up to us and asks, 'which way to Avalon?" Well I point north and say 35 miles that way. He looks at me like I'm being an [email protected]#%^ and repeats himself, 'no really, which way to Avalon?' Again, I point north and say 35 miles that way. I'm a little confused why all the questioning, but my brother then asks, 'you do know you're at SCI not Catalina?' He drifts off then comes back and says, hmm, I thought it took a little longer than I had anticipated. Again, drifts away and comes back, in our drift no less, and says, 'so how do I get to Avalon' again? I say, see that point over there (Pyramid) once you run around the corner, go due north. He comes back and says, I don't think I have enough gas. What the #@$#@!???? So I just calmly say, there's nothing around here, how much do you have? He says, 'hard to say.' So I tell him, you have two options, either run towards Catalina and we'll keep a radio check on you or call vessel assist to bring you out some fuel. He says, 'I don't have a radio.' What the @#%$#$??? Do you have a gps? No. But he proudly says 'I have a compass.'

O.k., so now I'm thinking we're stuck with this guy all day and we are taking him back with us. He follows us around for an hour or so and asks if he can follow us to Catalina. Of course and we take off to Catalina. Well, as soon as we're out of the lee all hell breaks loose and we are under water for the next hour or so. My brother and I can't stop laughing at what this poor fool would be going through if he wasn't 20' off our stern. Open platform, no pilot house or any way out of the weather as wave after wave comes plowing over our bow. Fun stuff, but he would have seriosly been in trouble. Anyways, about 10 miles from Catalina the wind dies down and I'm thinking I don't want to run to Avalon. So we have him come up off our Starboard and let him know we're running north up the island and give him directions to Avalon.

Well, I'm thinking 'good by', but he quickly says 'how do I get back?' What#@$%@%! I say 'go around that point over there, follow the inside of the island and Avalon is just a mile or two. No, 'how do I get back to Dana Point?' Freakin' idiot. So I map his course on my gps from Avalon and, tell him his heading and run away as quickly as possible. What a knob!!

People like this really shouldn't be driving a boat. This guy could have been in some serious stuff. Fog, weather, you name it. And he didn't even have a radio on board to call for help.

If you read this idiot, buy a freakin' radio and take a marine safety course before you kill someone.

Jeremy
24' Radon - 'Jenna J'

·
Registered
156 Posts
got a similar story while we were at catalina earlier this year. we were sitting on the backside of cat around the Vs fishing for yellows. after about an hour of fishing we see this 18 foot striper weaving through the other boats anchored up around the Vs. at this point we couldnt figure out what this dude was doing. he finally makes his way over to our starboard side and then turns his boat right toward us. he comes up literally 10 feet off our stern, and just stops his boat. at this point we are just dumbfounded as to what is going on. we knew this dude wasnt really a rocket scientist as he had 9 people on his 18 foot boat(they basically couldnt move around the boat), and from his little parade through all the boats along the Vs. We ask them if we can help then. one of the guys asks "what are you fishing for here?" we tell them "well nothing now, but it was yellowtail." then he asks "Do you know which way is SCI because we heard that the wsb are biting there?" so we said "ya its about 25 miles that way(pointing towards SCI)" so they turn their boat towards where we pointed them and off they went. heard on the radio that they had been causing chaos all over the east end that day, pulling up to people trying to fish and asking them similar questions. hope they got back safe

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
It doesn't surprise me in the least Jeremy.
That was better than launch ramp follies.
Check out this response from this guy, ring a bell.
http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=402&topic_id=7677&mesg_id=7683&page=

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never stops amazing me John.

Funny how the more experience you gain on the water, the more you realize how fast the Sh$t can hit the fan and how fast you can find yourself in serious trouble.

Jeremy
24' Radon - 'Jenna J'

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
TK,

I read both stories with amazement. How could people be so stupid? I can't imagine going to SCI with 9 people on an 18 footer. It's tough enough fishing four on my 21 footer. In addition, driving up to other boats and asking them what they're fishing for, what a joke! I wouldn't think of doing such a thing. I'll do my homework before I go. I've come across some real morons in my time on the water, but they would be hardpressed to match the idiocy of the subjects mentioned in this thread. Great stories gentlemen!

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
320 Posts
You hear these stories, and it's still amazing. I've run in a couple of those boaters in the past. There was the time we were a couple miles in front of Dana Point Harbor, and someone coming from Avalon was trying to find Long Beach... no radio, no compass, no GPS. The other time was just this year by the 209 someone was trying to get back to Dana Point from Avalon. At least they had a compass and VHF.

Eric

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It's one thing for a "captain" to risk his life in this manner...some people like to play russian roulette...who am I to stop them? But...to take guests on board...it's just an outrage to me.

Some people are so careful, considered, thoughtful and cautious, and still they experience tragedy. And then you see people like this who are just grossly reckless to the point of being almost suicidal...and yet they get right back home (thanks to your time and effort).

Some people will never get it. The MORE time you spend on the water, the MORE cautious you become and the MORE you realize how quickly things can go wrong. That doesn't mean that you don't take risks (just being offshore even with all appropriate equipment is a risk) but you take EDUCATED RISKS that you have take all reasonable and appropriate measures to mitigate.

For me there is nothing better than being 60 miles offshore at the helm at 3 in the morning. But I never forget it's a risk and I'm constantly trying to be sure I've done everything I can to manage that risk.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
"For me there is nothing better than being 60 miles offshore at the helm at 3 in the morning. But I never forget it's a risk and I'm constantly trying to be sure I've done everything I can to manage that risk."

For me, there is nothing better than being 60 miles offshore at 3 in the morning with you at the helm too, while I am warm and toasty in the v-berth sleeping! Unfortunately those roles were reversed last trip! Next time it's my turn! :D ZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
All I can say is that there one born every minute. I have had guys roll up on me in the fog to ask directions with not even as much as a compass on board.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We were fishing off palos verdes last year. We had a boat that came across from Catalina.They asked us "Which way to Dana Point?". Unbelievable how unprepared people are out there. I'm surprised there arent more people lost at sea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts