Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple of weekends the family heads to very upstate Wisconsin and will be spending almost a week at Manitowish Waters. We'll hopefully be fishing every day--bass, musky, perch, crappie.

Now my uncle will be our guide, and he's been fishing there for at least 50 years, so he knows his stuff. But it would be great if I could try some of our stuff there too. Does anyone know if some of our west coast lures might work there? Maybe small plastics? The only time I was there before was when I was 13, and all I remember was pitching minnows into the reeds for bass, dunk fishing for perch and crappie and trolling for musky.

Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

TIA.

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
Dropshot small plastic worms or grubs for the bass and walleye (don't forget the walleye.......great eating). Plastic jerkbaits and small swimbaits would work, too. If you run into toothier critters like muskie or northerns you can kiss the plastics goodbye.

Good luck. I have never caught a muskie. That one is still on the bucket list. I have heard they are very elusive and some locals have fished them for years without ever seeing one.

Hawk

·
Registered
57 Posts
check out this site,

http://www.upnorthfishing.com/report%20areas.htm

sorry not sure how to make it a link

I live here in Eau Claire WI and have been lucky enough to catch 2 muskey, not huge ones but 2 is 2

musky; (big) rapallas,bucktails and i have a large top water hog woboler, jointed in the middle propellers ao both ends

makes lots of noise an supposed to Pi$$em off

I've been told back in the old days they used to use a small peice of board with a hook in it, put a hamster on it and send it out floating,the hamster would walk around the board looking over the edge muskey seen that and wood eat the works. Old days...don't try now!!

now most use sucker minnows big as you can get 6-12 in, sucker harness(nose and tail hook setup)big bobber 5-6 feet up send it out and let it swim, further from the boat the better and just let it swim. don't forget a leader. if the bobber takes off let it go so the fish eats it, the carry it around before they turn it and eat it.

I have 50lb line on my poles they can get big and put up a good fight

walleye; only landed one 29" 6lb 8oz long but skinny, that was on my big rapala in the river (it was a fluke)most people i know use a jig and a minnow bepending on where they're at and the lake.

Bass; spinners,rapals, top water buzz baits are a blast when when they slam them on top and have some weedless for draging through the lilly pads, small weedless frog or mouse across the pads if their in there you'll have a blast

pan fish; I'm a night crawler guy, minnows work also

as for me bobber and crawler in first then work the shoe line with the lures

just remember this is a beer drinking state, couple a beews at the bar can get you alot of info a the bar,try the cheese curds take some fresh ones home with you and zap em for 10-15 sec and you'll be hooked

oh ya... a PACKERS shirt might even get you a few beers from the locals :tu::tu::) Will really help on the info

hope this helps

what lake are you fishing?

northerns; same as muskys smaller bait (northern minnows) buck tails ,rapalas ect

even on the bobber, they eat everything, even the bass, sunny or perch your pulling in. they also get big

haave a blast and good luck:tu::tu:8)

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Brad, an idea or two.

I don't have much time (cause of the flood) but I saw your post and wanted to tell you some stuff. (Us ole FishFesters have to stick together, eh?)

First, small swim baits work well on pike. 3" and 3.5 inch. But you need light jig heads. Best is probably 1/2-3/4 oz. Cast along the weed beds. If you rig it weedless (by a rubber band over the barb) you can work it thru the weeds. Silvery/black colors worked best for us. Got to give it motion and action.

Larger swimbaits actually worked for muskies....as well as anything does. That's why they call them the fish of 1000 casts. We used 5 and 6 inch swimbaits, and a jig head appropriate to the depth of the water. on average, 1 oz worked well.

I used some light wire circle hooks (Eagle Claw L197) with minnows and they were great on Pike!! The circles let me catch them on 6-8lb line, when normally they would chew thru. So many of your lighter circles will work...stuff that you would use on anchovies.

Like you, I wanted to put to use some of my SoCal saltwater gear, so I brought some iron. In general it was too heavy and sunk too fast. However, we caught pike on both the Ironman #2 (2.5oz) and the Ironman #3(3.1oz). Strangely the Ironman #3 was a killer on pike when slow trolled (2-3MPH) over rocky ridges at depths of 12-30 feet. Both green and yellow and chrome were good.

Absolutely nothing I tried from our salt water stuff was good for walleye. Nothing. (but they are finacky) Also, except for a crappie that committed kamikazi on a 3inch swimbait, most of the stuff was way too big for crappie. The lake we fished didn't have bass...but they are aggressive and would likely go for swimbaits.

Good luck....and tell us your story when you return.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all.

We'll be in Manitowish Waters and staying at Rest Lake, so we'll probably do most of the fishing there. This is way north, maybe 10 miles tops from Michigan border.

Thanks for the detailed responses. My uncle knows the local scene pretty well as he's been fishing there for decades, but will certainly print this off and take it with me. Bob, thanks for the hints about swimbaits, esp the colors--I want to try some of that kind of stuff and maybe see what can work.

We actually fly into Green Bay and may have to pick up a shirt or two, hadn't thought of that, LOL.

Any other ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
66 Posts
17RANGER - I've heard that you catch a squirrel and hook it in a hind leg and put it on a cedar roofing shingle with a rope tied to it. You motor to shore and yank the shingle out from underneath the squirrel and hold on. I've caught quite a few Muskies in Canada casting (10,000 casts they say) and trolling.

Brad - I've got the week off and plan on flying up to meet you!
I my stay a few days and can bring you a bunch of tackle to use.
But, I'm sure your Uncle knows best.

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
cubdrvr said:
17RANGER - I've heard that you catch a squirrel and hook it in a hind leg and put it on a cedar roofing shingle with a rope tied to it. You motor to shore and yank the shingle out from underneath the squirrel and hold on. I've caught quite a few Muskies in Canada casting (10,000 casts they say) and trolling.

Brad - I've got the week off and plan on flying up to meet you!
I my stay a few days and can bring you a bunch of tackle to use.
But, I'm sure your Uncle knows best.

Mark
Hmmmmm seems like a waste of a perfectly good squirrel.

maybe a chipmunk, not a lot of meat on them after gutting and skinning:p

·
Registered
57 Posts
re: Brad, an idea or two.

Oldtimer said:
I don't have much time (cause of the flood) but I saw your post and wanted to tell you some stuff. (Us ole FishFesters have to stick together, eh?)

First, small swim baits work well on pike. 3" and 3.5 inch. But you need light jig heads. Best is probably 1/2-3/4 oz. Cast along the weed beds. If you rig it weedless (by a rubber band over the barb) you can work it thru the weeds. Silvery/black colors worked best for us. Got to give it motion and action.

Larger swimbaits actually worked for muskies....as well as anything does. That's why they call them the fish of 1000 casts. We used 5 and 6 inch swimbaits, and a jig head appropriate to the depth of the water. on average, 1 oz worked well.

I used some light wire circle hooks (Eagle Claw L197) with minnows and they were great on Pike!! The circles let me catch them on 6-8lb line, when normally they would chew thru. So many of your lighter circles will work...stuff that you would use on anchovies.

Like you, I wanted to put to use some of my SoCal saltwater gear, so I brought some iron. In general it was too heavy and sunk too fast. However, we caught pike on both the Ironman #2 (2.5oz) and the Ironman #3(3.1oz). Strangely the Ironman #3 was a killer on pike when slow trolled (2-3MPH) over rocky ridges at depths of 12-30 feet. Both green and yellow and chrome were good.

Absolutely nothing I tried from our salt water stuff was good for walleye. Nothing. (but they are finacky) Also, except for a crappie that committed kamikazi on a 3inch swimbait, most of the stuff was way too big for crappie. The lake we fished didn't have bass...but they are aggressive and would likely go for swimbaits.

Good luck....and tell us your story when you return.
OT; Been down in your area, my buddy delivers to Menard's stores.
I went and got my CDL temps ,been riding along and doing some driving to.pretty cool, tougher than it looks driving a semi

Two weeks ago we went to Ottumwa then to Altoona in the storms

Last Thur./ we went to Cline and ankeny drove back Friday

worst storm I've been in going to Ottumwa two thursdays ago down 63, 20mph and big winds truck was loaded heavy and we were still getting blown around

Last Friday was in Des moines area, wow lots of water everywhere

Not trying to steel this post, just hope your on high ground.

we'll probably be down again next week. if Iowa is still there:p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.