Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends: Since this is "Allcoast" assume you have been challenged with assembling a battery of rods and reels which will do you ably no matter in the world you travel to. When I use the word "ably" I am referring to one-two sigma of all situations, so you need not worry about taking on a grander black marlin or catching sticklebacks on a retail basis. Your challenge will be to assemble a set that will handle, among other things: 1) Fresh, salt and brackish water 2) Boat, beach and in between 3) Spin, cast and fly 4) Some target species include, but are not limited to: Tuna, stripers, largemouth, GT's, tigerfish, shark, mahseer, bonefish, tarpon, trout, carp, billfish, northern pike, walleye, pavon, the mackerals, and more. Now comes the tougher part: 1) You are limited to ten (10)rods (we are used to Mexican limits, right?) :) 2) Any two rods must all fit in a container, the dimensions of which do not exceed 62". This includes length plus height plus diameter. For more details on this factor please see the Delta website. I still don't completely understand it. 3) Each rod must have a backup from among the others, so wherever you go you would take at least two rods, and not be out of business if one were to break. Factory rods preferred, but you can propose custom ones if you specify the blank or other relevant features. Gentlemen, start your engines..... Blu_Cs

This post edited by Blu_Cs 06/08/2008

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
Blu_Cs said:
Friends:

Since this is "Allcoast" assume you have been challenged with assembling a battery of rods and reels which will do you ably no matter in the world you travel to.

When I use the word "ably" I am referring to one-two sigma of all situations, so you need not worry about taking on a grander black marlin or catching sticklebacks on a retail basis.

Your challenge will be to assemble a set that will handle, among other things:

1) Fresh, salt and brackish water
2) Boat, beach and in between
3) Spin, cast and fly
4) Some target species include, but are not limited to: Tuna, stripers, largemouth, GT's, tigerfish, shark, mahseer, bonefish, tarpon, trout, carp, billfish, northern pike, walleye, pavon, the mackerals, and more.

Now comes the tougher part:

1) You are limited to ten (10)rods (we are used to Mexican limits, right?) :)

2) Any two rods must all fit in a container, the dimensions of which do not exceed 62". This includes length plus height plus diameter. For more details on this factor please see the Delta website. I still don't completely understand it.

3) Each rod must have a backup from among the others, so wherever you go you would take at least two rods, and not be out of business if one were to break.

Factory rods preferred, but you can propose custom ones if you specify the blank or other relevant features.

Gentlemen, start your engines.....

Blu_Cs

You first dude...:tu:

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from travel, so here goes. All rods would be 2 pc or more pieces in the case of the longer versions:

1) Ultra light spin rod about 5 1/2-6' rated up to 1/4 oz or so with quality reel rated for 2-4 lb line.

2) 6 1/2-7' foot spinning rod rated for 1/4-5/8 oz. and a medium size fresh water reel - perhaps the "1500 size" (for the more grey haired folks thet would equate to the "300" size ;) Extra spools with 4-15 lb line weights.

3) Same as 1, but rod rated 3/8 to 3/4 oz and line ratings 10-20 lb test

4) 9' spinning rod rated for about 1/2-3 oz, "3500" size reel. 15 lb test or so. Could also double with a casting reel of the 6500 size, or something like a 525mag.

5) 7' 2 pc casting rod, on a popping blank (rated 3/8 to about 1 0z.). Small conventional level wind reel of the "6500 size"

6) 7' 2 pc conventional rod on about a 700mh-equivalent blank or so. 4/0 size reel or equivalent. 40-50 lb line.

7) 7' 2 pc rod on about a 270 equivalent blank or so. 500 size reel. 30 lb test. If available, spare spools with line ranging from 20-40

8) 5 1/2' xxh type rod with removable butt such as a unibitt. Ringed for low maintenance: murphy was an amateur when it comes to things going wrong overseas, and there ain't no parts.....6/0 - 9/0 with 80 lb mono or 50SW size reel set up with spectra.

9) 6 xxh type rod with removable butt such as a unibutt. Ringed for low maintenance. 6/0 with 80 lb mono or 50 sized size reel set up with spectra.

10) 9' 7 wt 2 pc fly outfit.

Those are my picks to get the job done. If push came to shove, I'd just have the even numbered ones.

The reel details are provided to give a sense of size. I'm not looking to start a debate on whether a 6/0 can land a big one....

Blu_Cs

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
mogandave said:
Not much of a selection muti-peice blanks around are there?

I love the 700H you wapped for me last year, does that come in a three peice?
LOL!!! Nope, doesn't.

But you don't have to have a factory made 2 or 3 piece blank either. That's what ferrules and aluminum butts are for. And with the length restriction being 62" for the rod tube, (Figure 60" or 5'inside length to alow for a little padding.), 7' and 8' sticks are no problem, and they only need to be two piece. ;)

Travel rods like this used to be fairly common a while back, particularly trolling rods.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
Sorry, I have absolutely zero confindence in a two piece rod. I have had no issue flying with a long rod tube, other than a extra fee.

You don't mind if I splice your roof rafters in the middle of your span do you? :p

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
wahoodad said:
Sorry, I have absolutely zero confindence in a two piece rod. I have had no issue flying with a long rod tube, other than a extra fee.

You don't mind if I splice your roof rafters in the middle of your span do you? :p

The plant I work in has a 100? free span, whole lot of splicing, and I?m sure you do it when you have to.

I like a one piece rod myself, but detachable butts used to be pretty common. The AFTCO unibutts are on a lot of high end gear. Not coincidentally, it is much cheaper and easier to manufacture blank-through one piece rods.

Remember the old butts that incorporated the reel frame? The side plates screwed right on the rod butt. Looked kind of like a great big bass rod.

I used to have an old two-piece Garcia I could keep behind the seat of the pickup so I could hit the twilight on the way home. Not that bad a deal...

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
wahoodad said:

Rods with uni-butts are still two piece rods and many use them on cows. I seem to recall someone talking not too long ago about possibly trying a short bent butt for a standup stick in PV.

Now let's see.............who was that............Hhmmmm? :)

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
I have a couple of two piece spinners that have held up well so far they are Lamiglas factory 50# sticks....

Most of my SW fishing trips involve airline travel....so with all the baggage restrictions a group of us are exploring high quality high, strength two piece construction alternatives....I predict this will be a whole new rod market very soon....

Times are changing and so must the rod designs....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On short very heavy bent butt rods, there was a guy whose name escapes me who did this off PV. My conversation with him had to do with those ultra short x46xh Calstar blanks. I'll bet Martin at Yo's in Gardena has an idea or two on this subject.....

Still, the toughest nut to crack on my list are those longer rods in the 6 1/2 - 7' or more length that handle line in the 30-60 lb ranges, and for which there is no real off-the-shelf alternative at this time. I'm thinking though, that something has to pop pretty soon as a factory made 2 or more piece variant on those butterfly jig rods....

Declining to fish because a rod cannot be one-piece is not an option. I'd rather break the durn thing on a fish than watch someone else have all the fun......

Blu_Cs

Blu_Cs

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both Calstar and Seeker are excellent blanks, but they comprise only a small percentage of the overall market, and do not hold a monopoly on quality.

As best as I can determine, their blank design and marketing has centered on the SoCal market although over the years they both have attempted to expand nationally and internationally with other offerings. I am thinking of the Seeker East coast and British style surf blanks (now discontinued, I hear), for example.

There are lots of other tremendous blank manufacturers out there. I see no need to wear blinkers when picking out blanks, on the contrary.

One thing for sure, tho: if you are limited to long range, you are very well served by either Calstar or Seeker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blu_Cs said:
Friends:

Since this is "Allcoast" assume you have been challenged with assembling a battery of rods and reels which will do you ably no matter in the world you travel to.

When I use the word "ably" I am referring to one-two sigma of all situations, so you need not worry about taking on a grander black marlin or catching sticklebacks on a retail basis.

Your challenge will be to assemble a set that will handle, among other things:

1) Fresh, salt and brackish water
2) Boat, beach and in between
3) Spin, cast and fly
4) Some target species include, but are not limited to: Tuna, stripers, largemouth, GT's, tigerfish, shark, mahseer, bonefish, tarpon, trout, carp, billfish, northern pike, walleye, pavon, the mackerals, and more.

Now comes the tougher part:

1) You are limited to ten (10)rods (we are used to Mexican limits, right?) :)

2) Any two rods must all fit in a container, the dimensions of which do not exceed 62". This includes length plus height plus diameter. For more details on this factor please see the Delta website. I still don't completely understand it.

3) Each rod must have a backup from among the others, so wherever you go you would take at least two rods, and not be out of business if one were to break.

Factory rods preferred, but you can propose custom ones if you specify the blank or other relevant features.

Gentlemen, start your engines.....

Blu_Cs
I'm dragging up this old thread because it will help with my thoughts on how to do a long airline-centric trip. I don't know how well I can cover some of the bases as I haven't even seen some of those critters on the list, let alone fished for them.

My thought is to keep the equipment simple in case it needs repair, so no SoCal specialty shop gear or upstart makers like Accurate, Tiburon, or even Avet. I'm not sure all of these combinations make sense, so if you see something ridiculous please point it out.

I broke it down into Fresh, Inshore, Offshore, and Fly gear. Tried to stick to the rules as I understand them. Rods and reels I used in more than one place I noted with a (#x). I ended up w/ 13 reels and 10 rods.

I hope there is more response this time because I'm looking for some good ideas.

1) Freshwater -
Shimano Stradic 4 lb spin/5.5' 2-pc Browning Graphite 2-6 lb spin
Penn Spinfisher SSG 6 lb spin/6.5' 2-pc Powerstick 6-10 lb spin
Shimano Curado casting 8-17 lb rod/7' 3-pc Penn Guide Travel rod 12-20 lb casting
Shimano TLD1000 Charter Special downrigger/8.5' 2-pc Lamiglas Kenai Special casting

2) Inshore
Shimano Baitrunner 14 lb spin/7' 3-pc Penn Guide Travel Rod 12-20 lb spin
Daiwa Saltist 20 lb. 6:1 casting/7' 2-pc Ugly Stik Tiger Rod 20-50 lb casting (#1)
Shimano Trinidad 20 lb casting/7' 2-pc Ugly Stik Tiger Rod 20-50 lb casting (#2)
Shimano Trinidad 16 lb casting (#1)/7.5' 2-pc Cabela's Innerflow rod casting (#1)

3) Offshore
Penn Torque 100 30 lb cast-troll/6' Capt. Harry's 30-60 lb "Destination" Pitch rod w/ Unibutt
Penn Torque 300 50 lb troll/6' Capt. Harry's 50-100 lb "Destination" Pitch rod w/ Unibutt
Shimano Trinidad 16 lb casting (#2)/7.5' 2-pc Cabela's Innerflow rod Sabiki rig (#2)

4) Fly
Redington Crosswater-2 7-9 wt. reel/ Redington 9' 8 wt 2-pc Crosswater rod
Sage VT2 5-8 wt. mid arbor fly reel/Sage 9' 6 wt. VT2 rod

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ratltrap:

This looks like a good set for someone who primarily boat fishes or wades for a wide range of species up to perhaps the 80-100 lb range. (These numbers are all rough carpentry!)

I'd think adding a 50 wide 2 speed outfit with 80-100 lb topshot and a surf outfit would push out your envelope quite a bit further. I've been to a few places where a boat was not an option, even if there were watercraft available, so the surf option is a vital one.

Since writing the original post I've scoured US markets for multi piece mid-weight blanks in the 30-60 lb line range, and have actually come up with a few, which I plan to build on. Most are Lamiglas, not because I have any particular brand loyalty (although they make great blanks), but because choices are limited, and Lamiglas apparently has the foresight to supply this niche. My problem with these is they all seem very parabolic (bend too much in the butt), but once I build them will share my observations.

It is startling to me what little availability there is out there on travel blanks once you get out of light spinning and (all) fly applications.

The go-anywhere-catch-anyfish battery has been a work in progress of mine for over 40 years. The longer I go at it the more I'm coming to realize that simpler, and fewer, is better - but its fun getting worked up over the options.

And your point about parts availability is a very well made one. Frankly, from that perspective, unless its a Penn, Abu or Shimano, the infrastructure might well not support convenient parts or repair availability. The option there is to bring backup reels.

Blu_Cs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.