Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 year old son told me that he wanted to fish East Cape this summer vs going on a LR trip on the Intrepid (we have waited to book due to light occupancy). It has been 4 years since we were last at Palmas and he wanted to go again. WOWWY CAZOWWY was I shocked at the prices. Mid July trip (7/7 to 7/12)Check it out:

Airfare Aeromexico San Diego to San Jose del Cabo: $1,540
Transfers SJD to Palmas: $160
Room Including Tax: $200 a night with 20% tax: $1,200
Boat 4 days: $1,800
Bait & Tips: $360

Total Cost: $5,040

5 Day trip on the Intrepid (7/12 to 7/17)
Boat Cost: $2,035 X 2= $4,060
Tip: $800

Total Cost: $4,860

I was really suprised East Cape has always been less than LR fishing. Yes it's an entirely different experience but my $$$$ go further here. I also will have incidentals at East Cape I wouldn't have on the boat like a son who drinks a case of soda a day...not really but you get the drift.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Have you checked the price on flying Volaris Airlines out of TJ? Can't vouch for them (and know nothing about their policies re: rod tubes, coolers, etc.), but I've seen their bus picking up passengers at the San Diego train station. Doesn't change the equation about what type of fishing trip you'd prefer, but may change the pricing a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
Fisherman103 said:
If you add in the fuel surecharge and a 15% tip you are even then you have the advantage of great fish to take home!
Hey Archie if you read the post he's on the Intrepid, no surcharge and the tip is in his calculations at $800. So that leaves a couple hundred dollar savings like 400 bones or so. I find this interesting that Long Range is cheaper than East Cape these days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
Well did some quick research

US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100

Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800.


Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100


total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fishybuzz said:
Well did some quick research US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100 Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800. Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100 total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
Maybe you need to do the math again Fishybuzz, in fact it's worse than before. http://www.vanwormerresorts.com/rates.htm So I called and just got a price quote per: Cabana Room 5 days, 4 Days Deluxe Cruiser and all taxes: $3,639.50 Air Aeromexico non-stop SAN Diego to SJD (no sitting on the ground in Phoenix for 2 hours each way and FF miles for Delta): $1,540 RT Transfers SJD to Palmas: $80 Bait and Tips for Boats: $480 ($20 for bait & $100 tip per day) TOTAL $5,739.50

This post edited by hokeysmoke 06/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,083 Posts
fishybuzz said:
Well did some quick research US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100 Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800. Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100 total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
Fishy I am sure your numbers are accurate but you left off a couple of important items. Taxes; 10% room tax, 10% service charge, 10% tax on the boat. Also the tips for the boat crew I think hokeysmoke included those both ways in his calculations. Also those are the rates on the Palmas website. I sure am suprised to see this I always thought East Cape was a bargain.

This post edited by willy 06/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
willy said:
fishybuzz said:
Well did some quick research

US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100

Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800.


Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100


total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
Fishy I am sure your numbers are accurate but you left off a couple of important items. Taxes; 10% room tax, 10% service charge, 10% tax on the boat. Also the tips for the boat crew I think hokeysmoke included those both ways in his calculations. Also those are the rates on the Palmas website. I sure am suprised to see this I always thought East Cape was a bargain.

Got the rates right off the Palmas web site...and because he wants to fly non stop is a whole different deal...I'm just stating the price I can do what he is doing and if I stayed at a different hotel it would even be cheaper than Palmas.... I can get a flight from San Diego round trip for $500 per person if he choses to pay $750 then that's on him if he chooses not to get the package rate at Palmas that's also on him...I know that if I shopped the trip it will be much less than the $4,000 I stated....he will also not be fishing 5 days on a 5 day LR trip more like 3 or 3.5.

I've been going to the East Cape every year since l974 and let me tell you LR fishing is WAY more expensive...JMO

When you go long range fishing it sure costs me more than just the step on fare plus tip....so adding the nickles and dimes to the East Cape trip is not being equal....and besides they are two totally different experiences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
how many hours a day do you get to fish in the cape and what do you do during the time your NOT fishing for free. taxi ride and ect. cost money. how does the food compare. you really need to compare apples to apples.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fishybuzz said:
willy said:
fishybuzz said:
Well did some quick research US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100 Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800. Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100 total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
Fishy I am sure your numbers are accurate but you left off a couple of important items. Taxes; 10% room tax, 10% service charge, 10% tax on the boat. Also the tips for the boat crew I think hokeysmoke included those both ways in his calculations. Also those are the rates on the Palmas website. I sure am suprised to see this I always thought East Cape was a bargain.
Got the rates right off the Palmas web site...and because he wants to fly non stop is a whole different deal...I'm just stating the price I can do what he is doing and if I stayed at a different hotel it would even be cheaper than Palmas.... I can get a flight from San Diego round trip for $500 per person if he choses to pay $750 then that's on him if he chooses not to get the package rate at Palmas that's also on him...I know that if I shopped the trip it will be much less than the $4,000 I stated....he will also not be fishing 5 days on a 5 day LR trip more like 3 or 3.5. I've been going to the East Cape every year since l974 and let me tell you LR fishing is WAY more expensive...JMO When you go long range fishing it sure costs me more than just the step on fare plus tip....so adding the nickles and dimes to the East Cape trip is not being equal....and besides they are two totally different experiences.
OK Fishybuzz, I only go to Palmas so for the week I want to go, and the boats and rooms that are availiable to me here is the reservation and price quote right from Palmas de Cortez: PALMAS DE CORTEZ 23679 CALABASAS RD., #769 CALABASAS, CA 91302-1502 877-777-8862 OR 818-224-4744 JUNE 17, 2008 ARRIVAL DATE: 07/07/2008 NUMBER IN PARTY: 2 Adults DEPARTURE DATE: 07/12/2008 NIGHTS: 5 Child: $15.00 per night ROOMS: QTY PER ROOM TYPE UNIT IN OUT NIGHTLY RATE -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 2 CABANAS-2 QUEENS/1 SING 07/07/2008 07/12/2008 $190.00 Room Charge 950.00 Room Tax 95.00 3% Bed Tax 19.50 Hotel Gratuity 95.00 Boat Charge 1800.00 Boat Tax 180.00 ---------- Less Deposit Received 0.00 ---------- Total Now Due 3139.50 Now add to this the airfare of either $1,100 or $1,534 Boat Tips of $400 Bait of $80 RT Transfers to hotel $80 If I want to sit in an airpot for 4 hours, then I can save a few bucks but my FF miles are not good on US Air. I need the miles for my wife and I to go to Hawaii. So I will use my non-stop, code share, FF miles airfare cost is $5,233.50 If I do use your airfare the cost is within a few dollars East Cape to LR. But there are still some uncertain costs like what will it cost me extra to take my rods and reels dow and bring back some fillets? That could cost another $200. Sometimes those rates quoted on the website are not availiable as I found when I got this price quote. It doesn't matter for me and my son to go to East Cape costs more than Long Range during this week in July with the boats and rooms that are availiable.

This post edited by hokeysmoke 06/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
hokeysmoke said:
fishybuzz said:
willy said:
fishybuzz said:
Well did some quick research US Airways...round trip for two San Diego to Los Cabos.....$1,100 Package deal at Palmas for 2 people....5 nights 4 days fishing on a crusier ......$1,400 per person...$2,800. Ground transportation from airport and back for two people$100 total......$4,000....and I'm sure I can get it for less if I really looked around....
Fishy I am sure your numbers are accurate but you left off a couple of important items. Taxes; 10% room tax, 10% service charge, 10% tax on the boat. Also the tips for the boat crew I think hokeysmoke included those both ways in his calculations. Also those are the rates on the Palmas website. I sure am suprised to see this I always thought East Cape was a bargain.
Got the rates right off the Palmas web site...and because he wants to fly non stop is a whole different deal...I'm just stating the price I can do what he is doing and if I stayed at a different hotel it would even be cheaper than Palmas.... I can get a flight from San Diego round trip for $500 per person if he choses to pay $750 then that's on him if he chooses not to get the package rate at Palmas that's also on him...I know that if I shopped the trip it will be much less than the $4,000 I stated....he will also not be fishing 5 days on a 5 day LR trip more like 3 or 3.5. I've been going to the East Cape every year since l974 and let me tell you LR fishing is WAY more expensive...JMO When you go long range fishing it sure costs me more than just the step on fare plus tip....so adding the nickles and dimes to the East Cape trip is not being equal....and besides they are two totally different experiences.
OK Fishybuzz, I only go to Palmas so for the week I want to go, and the boats and rooms that are availiable to me here is the reservation and price quote right from Palmas de Cortez: PALMAS DE CORTEZ 23679 CALABASAS RD., #769 CALABASAS, CA 91302-1502 877-777-8862 OR 818-224-4744 JUNE 17, 2008 ARRIVAL DATE: 07/07/2008 NUMBER IN PARTY: 2 Adults DEPARTURE DATE: 07/12/2008 NIGHTS: 5 Child: $15.00 per night ROOMS: QTY PER ROOM TYPE UNIT IN OUT NIGHTLY RATE -------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1 2 CABANAS-2 QUEENS/1 SING 07/07/2008 07/12/2008 $190.00 Room Charge 950.00 Room Tax 95.00 3% Bed Tax 19.50 Hotel Gratuity 95.00 Boat Charge 1800.00 Boat Tax 180.00 ---------- Less Deposit Received 0.00 ---------- Total Now Due 3139.50 Now add to this the airfare of either $1,100 or $1,534 Boat Tips of $400 Bait of $80 RT Transfers to hotel $80 If I want to sit in an airpot for 4 hours, then I can save a few bucks but my FF miles are not good on US Air. I need the miles for my wife and I to go to Hawaii. So I will use my non-stop, code share, FF miles airfare cost is $5,233.50 If I do use your airfare the cost is within a few dollars East Cape to LR. But there are still some uncertain costs like what will it cost me extra to take my rods and reels dow and bring back some fillets? That could cost another $200. Sometimes those rates quoted on the website are not availiable as I found when I got this price quote. It doesn't matter for me and my son to go to East Cape costs more than Long Range during this week in July with the boats and rooms that are availiable.
Hoky, the variables are you want to go at a specific time and you choose to use your FF miles so you need to use a certain airline and you can and want to pay for it and that's absolutely cool cause I'm the same way...time sometimes is more important than money.....so you pay a premium to go to a certain hotel at a specific time on a specific flight and go on a specific boat. All I'm saying is that the East Cape can be done for less than the comparative price that you made if compromises in time place and travel are made. I hope you and your son have a great trip...I love the East Cape and I like LR fishing....and in reality neither is cheap...:)

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/17/2008
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,964 Posts
okie man said:
how many hours a day do you get to fish in the cape and what do you do during the time your NOT fishing for free. taxi ride and ect. cost money. how does the food compare. you really need to compare apples to apples.

I already stated...they are totally different experiences.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
My house mates have been using Volaris (there not fisherpeople so don't know about rods, coolers, etc). But it looks like about $300 RT per person. Bus picks up and drops off in SD so no driving across the border. Must be all that cheap fuel down south.


Depart
Mon, Jul 07, 2008
Adult 1,490.00 MXN

Tijuana (TIJ) Leave 5:15 PM
Flt5450
Los Cabos (SJD) Arrive 8:25 PM

Arrive
Sat, Jul 12, 2008
Adult 1,690.00 MXN

Los Cabos (SJD) Leave 1:50 PM
Flt 451
Tijuana (TIJ) Arrive 3:00 PM
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top