All Coast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iâ??m heading to Catalina early on Saturday and taking my wife and want to look for Yellow Tails. I hope the water warms up by then. Anyway, Iâ??m going to get bait and I have a bunch of blue and white and scrambled egg Irons but was looking for advice on trolling for yellowtail? Any thoughts about what to troll and how fast?
Thanks,
Chas
On the Red Rocket out of Newport

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Welcome to ALLCOAST Chas!

You might troll a Sardine or a Spanish Mackerel.
These can work quite well sometimes, nose hooked.

I shot you an email.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
There have been a few quality fish caught off the Vs on squid. The recent heat wave and winds have lowered the water temps and made fishing pretty tough around the island. I ran off to the island Sunday afternoon and it was no fun. I typically cruise at 24 knots as my vessel has a very deep V hull; however, I averaged 14 knots getting to the island.

Trying to fish on Monday consisted of spending our time looking for a protected cove. Be sure and check the conditions before you go.

John
31' BlackWatch
"Pescador"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great, thanks for the info guys. I plan on leaving at 5 or so Saturday morning in hopes that itâ??s calm. Our boat (my two cousins and I are partners) is a 20â?? Seacraft, center console (red hull, you might have seen me around) and while she does well for her size, it does not take much to slow her down and make it wet. As it will be my wifeâ??s first time over there on a small boat I want to make it as pleasant as possible so she will want to go again. We will be staying the night on my Uncles boat at Whites cove and then coming back early Sunday hoping for calm again.
Iâ??m super pumped on this website and all of the great info that I have found on the message boards. I am 27 and have been fishing out of Newport inconstantly for my whole life. With my family itâ??s always been, we go to the same spots and troll the same lour and hope that there are fish. Well Iâ??m sick of that and am determined to become a better fisherman. I am just trying to learn as much as I can and this website is super helpful.
Anyway, thanks for the info. If you see me out there say hi. I normally monitor 63a when Iâ??m around Newport which is what the Sea Watch boats monitor, I worked on and operated those boats for a bunch of years and all my friends still work on them. At the Island Ill probably be on 69 (BYC) or 72.
Thanks again and see you on the water.
Chas

1 - 4 of 4 Posts