All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It simply amazes me how many idiots are out bug fishing! They have no respect or courtsey let alone brains. The serious bug fishermen get to their spot early at least one hour before sunset. Being all baited up and ready to go, the sun finally sets and it game on.

Now here comes Mr. idiot! Just about runs your well lighted gear over with in 20 to 30 feet of you starts shinning the high power flashlights in the water straight down. As Carlos Mencia would say you must be a DE DE DE. To all you Homer Simpson's are you stupid ignorant or just un uninformed,going to give you a list of dont's!

#1 Go stealth with the lights, avoid shinning high power lights especially straight down, have you ever seen a kitchen full of roaches and turned the light on? they scatter and lobster are no different!

#2 On monday night I saw at least five floating floats all cut bt the propellers. You need to make sure your floats are highly visable! Not only does it get expensive losing traps, it also can be a major safety issue! Buy some LED'S or Glow sticks

#3 When approaching your target area look for floats at a SLOW speed and keep at least a 100 feet away form other guys traps. This situation can get ugly.

#4 Ask fellow buggers first before you intrude,after all they got there way before you did anyway. You would be suprised what good and polite communications can achieve and work togeather. You never know you just might make a friend.

#5 A final idea try to hook up with two or three other boats to target an area and set up a perimeter, there is safety in numbers and set up a game plan. So when Mr. De De De shows up when he see's two or three boats he much more likely to go elsewhere!

I final word to the idiot in his nameless Robalo last night you got S#%^*t for brains! people like you should just buy lobster at the fish market instead of ruinning for others.

limits in one hour for two thats all for now

Joe The Killer Skiff

·
Registered
757 Posts
feel better?

I think you would have better luck sitting at the ramp handing out your recommendations on "how to be a professional" fisherman.
Most of the people on this board already use your preffered educate (sp)

just my personal opinion.

Most of your stuff is common sense, some is only achieved by experience and education.

EDIT: Congrats on the limits.
Now get ready for the "no pics, I call Bull" or the "where are the details of the "fish report?"

·
Registered
304 Posts
I agree. Hooping was way better before some guy decided to mass produce nets and do seminars. The Dumb Aszzs out there don't know how to find their own fish, spots or anything else, least of all show respect for s the guy out on the water first.
Bob

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Sounds familiar

This must be a fall post. It reminds me of the posts we see in the summer or late summer about paddie fishing for dorado. LOL! :7

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
RE: Sounds familiar

I see similiar behavior while in line at Starbucks. Homeboy runs over my floats better have a fast boat and a big brother... This is why I quit surfing, having twelve year old neo-nazi goofballs brandish knives after cutting you off a wave is less fun than staying at work. I think polite conversation and social distances could solve 99% of this problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow. sounds like the idiot needs a good b*tch-slappin.

i specifically try to stay away from any other boats, primarily because i am still learning this hooping stuff.

the last couple times out we have been miles away from any other boat, but sure enough, someone moves in on us.

oh well

Good luck everyone!
SoCalDoug

·
Registered
218 Posts
Lol, that was an entertaining read. Somebody call the whambulance. Sounds like you sure do know a lot about hooping considering how "secret" your spot is. Do you also park on top of the 14 mile bank and then yell at everyone to get off your spot.

If you surround yourself with idiots and then cry about all the idiots I'd have to say that just makes you another idiot, no offense.

Maybe you should find another spot.

I've never seen anyone else where my hoopnets are, but then again nobody has ever broken into my storage unit.

Hoopnetting is like rock codding, yawn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am with you 100%. As soon as Wal Mart started selling hoops I knew we were in trouble. I am not a veteran by any means. I have been hooping for the past four season. I however have had my share of run ins with other hoopers. I am sure the landing skippers would have a good laugh see all of us fight for spots.

Fishbuster 27
No Bad Days

·
Registered
980 Posts
I use high powered lights and no glow sticks I must be a idiot!

but then again I hoop in deep water and I stay very close to my set if another boat come,s close I hit my bouys with the light and you can see them from 2 miles out a lot better then a glow stick.

Don

·
Registered
576 Posts
last year had my nets in the water for two hrs a guy comes up starts dropping nets inbetween mine we go over to see what his problem is and he informs me my nets are to far apart. unbeleaveable

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
This is what I was talking about before my post got BOINKED. I am aware that most of the AllCoasters know what is going on. Except maybe SoCalDoug in Norco who gets all his info from his PC or WON. Living at the beach most of my life and seeing the numbers of Hoop Crowds at our local spots grow. There are alot of non-members learning and getting educated on getting in on the local harvest. Example; My friend told me about several Hoopers on Redondo Pier. We went Tue night after dark and saw them. We also saw one guy stuffing shorts in a backpack hidden in a planter. After a hour he had 4 so I figured it was time to call CalTip 1-888-DFG-CALTIP and make a report. We also saw a couple other guys throw back a couple shorts. No Legal Bugs Seen. Use a 1 gal plastic bottle with a glow stick inside and super glue the cap on (twist top is better) for a float. I disagree with the Roach and lights. Slealth is a good idea in a shallow populated area, less advertising. But, I started night diving in 1978 and they don't scatter like roaches when you put your light on them. They usually just sit there. I make no claim to be a expert. I just base my facts on 1st hand observations made from 30 years of surfing, fishing, diving and hanging out at the beach after work and talking with other locals. D.R.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Yeah, I'm an idiot too for not using light sticks.
Never used even one, and I don't plan on it either.
You know me, I guard my nets/floats like a Lion guards it's kill.
Too bad most don't guard their stuff like that.

I know Joe and I think he's just frustrated.
We all can get frustrated with others at times.
Each year there will be new people hooping.
Each year there will be clowns and knuckleheads.
No matter what you tell people they are left to sort
it out for themselves, and make their own choices.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
No sh#T!!! You can always tell when the fishing has slowed down, when all the reports contain the word lobster. Boring! Oh well, to each his own. Jeff The Dalton Boys 21ft Parker

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
>I am with you 100%. As soon as Wal Mart started selling
>hoops I knew we were in trouble.

Wal Mart has hoops? I am outta here right now! Gotta rush over there before all the other idiots buy them out!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Now I have fished since I was born literaly my mother's dad Grampa Charley was a commercial fisherman and my family eats fish like madmen and woman but I dont like fish never have. Sound funny right I fished almost every week and I dont like fish I love to fish I think it is the hunt.

I love Lobster I will eat three tails in one sitting so this time of year is special to me because I can reep the harvest.

Just because someone like's to fish Fin fish or lobsters its still fishing and we should not Capp on people for doing what makes them happy as long as what we catch makes it back into the ocean or on the dinner table.

By the way this is starting to sound like my beach my wave around here.

JMO
Don

1 - 20 of 23 Posts