All Coast banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I don't intend to start a rant thread. I'm asking 'What have you seen or experienced yourself where public sportfishing boats have been less than straight with PBers'? A one-line topic, somewhat like the examples below, would be welcome. I've whittnessed 4 of the 5 following incidents:

 Running through an anchored-boatâ??s chum line.

 Charging a kelp paddy cutting in on a PBer who is already taking the proper drift line.

 Propping an anchored boat. (Causing turbulence to cause the PBâ??s anchor to slip and drift off a spot)

 Telling the PBer that they are too close. (In fact, the moo-moo moved in on an anchored PBer)

 Sloshing a PBer to get the hand-off from another moo-moo.

Added by contributors:
 ZERO regard for our lines, irons hit or were thrown over us by boat patrons. NEW

 Running up in front of a PBer, dropping the hook, and sliding back and next to the victim so close that casters on the moo-moo could hit or at least cross all the PBers lines. NEW

 Making threating turns into a PBer's path possibly running over lines out when there is adequate space for everybody to navigate. NEW

 Buzzing an anchored PB within 30' at a moo-moo's full speed. (average full-speed is what ..... maybe 18kts? NEW

 Running between two boats (?? anchored ??) where lines of each boats' anglers is cut off!!!) NEW

 From Email- After PBer yells to the skipper he (moo-moo) was coming in too fast (What the hell do you....... idiot! level profanity) the deckhand and then the skipper started yelling full-on profanities until the wife came out from below and kids poked their heads from below deck! Some moo-moo patrons were totally turned off! NEW

Appreciate any contributions. Again, no intent to start an argument or flame fest.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Last month, when the Horseshoe was Wide Open on bonito and barracuda, I was swooped in on two bonito boils by the Matt Walsh and the Monte Carlo. Both with ZERO regard for our lines or the many other boils all over the 'Shoe. I could have kept a coule irons thrown buy the 'coffee grinders' that hit or were thrown over us.

ERIK

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hate the local guys here in San Diego. Had one jackass drop anchor right in front of me, then back down next me, and then started throwing lures at me! It was an evening bite and it was just me messing with the calicos. So I pulled anchor and did a couple power laps around his boat and chased all MY fish back down, taking a few lines with me. Called Seaforth and told them how lame they are and now I give that boat no respect when I see them out. I actually go out of my way to mess with them. I don't get mad or even, I get five up. Had another keep charging me when we showed up at the 43 mid week with only three boats in the area. Every chance he got he would turn right at me. I got on the radio and told him that if I lost a lure becuase of his bullsh that I would spend the rest of the day making sure that not one of his paying customers got a single fish. He did'nt respond but he did stop his antics. I'll share a paddy and give out numbers all day but not with a PB. I guesss if I were a capt. on one of those I would have my panties all in a bunch too. They work hard long hours and have a lot of pressure from thier customers, and when they come home they can't get laid becuase they smell bad.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Smelt4bait,

Thank you. Greatly appreciate your contribution. As you see, I have condensed the post to bare bones. I myself don't intend to name names of boats in the hopes more guys will be willing to contribute.

thank you again,

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi J Cooper,

Thanks for contributing those incidents. They'll go in the list.

I'm sure there are dozens of incidents that are both intentional and un-intentional that knowing would make me smarter .... even if I'm just a passenger on a boat.

appreciated,

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Jsea,

If anybody's got the stories ..... you'd be way up there on the list I suspect with all your time on the water and talking with you at the shows.

I'm formulating a 'watch out for this' PB vs. moo-moo list based on experiences of PBers.

Again not bashing anybody special,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish ya wouldnt go there... but since 'ya mention it, i'll give my short rant.

i'ts about 50-50. I will absolutely agree with your original post and list, but as many incidents that i could add to your list, I have just as many involving a PB'ers.

First, I owned a boat... A nice little 24'er... sold it to buy a twin engine piper. I've been fishing these waters since about 1982 ish.

Second, I used to be considered a "true regular" on one of the local so-cal cattle boats. So regular in fact, that I cant remember the last time I actually paid to fish. Face it, sometimes it's nice to grab a beer, some chili, and go pound the crap outta sandbass at the flats without having to clean a boat or trailer it.

Third, the last few years I have been fishing regularly on either a relatives boat or my neighbors boat.

With that said, here's my opinion: PB'ERS ARE JUST AS BAD AS CATTLE DRIVERS... and there is more of them!

Take ten cattle boats. 50% of them will at some point, p*ss you off.
Take ten private boats. 50% of them will at some point, p*ss you off.

How many of you were somewhere between newport and the 209 during the height of the do-do rush this year? How many cattle boats moved in on your paddy? How many PB'ers? It doesnt matter, they were all there and it only took one hookup to have 20 boats on yer tail (and port, and starboard, and bow)

How many of you tried to troll the east end in the last couple months on a weekend? Cattle boats? a few... PB'ers? many! Fly a single flag and you have 5 people tailing you like undercover detectives.

How many times have you had some chump move in on you when you had 10 hoop-nets in the water?

What about the numnuts that haul-arse along the quarry BETWEEN anchored vessels? Trolling right through your lines (pssst the guy with the bright red boat with all the "look-at-me" flags, this bud's for you!)

Here's the fun one (i've done this, it works and is great for laughs). Get near the 14 at about 8am on a saturday. Pretend to be pumping in a biggie fish (make it look like you are a pro marlin guy on ESPN). every 2nd or 3rd boat on final approach to the east end will stop and drop bait near you. (this actually works if you are out of bait and are metering fish - use the dipweeds to brail for you) The newbies with their brand new 12' Costco boat wont even notice your rod isnt bent!

Keep something in mind about the cattle boats. They need to meter BIG groups of fish, where we only need to meter a few. Their counts are their advertisements and thats why during the best of the YT time, you'll see a cattler or two pounding cat-food (bonito).

If a sporty drops his anchor on you, MAKE USE OF IT. Enjoy his chumming power, get on the radio and thank his sorry butt. 90% of the time, he wound up there for a reason. His $30,000 360 degree side sweeping sonar saw something and he knows that your 3 passengers wont even make a dent in it. He's banking on you moving and getting ticked off. DONT. stay there and relieve your bladder in full view of every lady passenger on his deck (no, i cant get myself to do that, but i'll buy anyone that does, a beer). Get on channel 16 and remind him of the 1/8 mile rule so that it's on tape that he moved in on you. Have some FUN! Dont get upset. Most cattle drivers are YOUNG kids (and i mean REALLY young) think about how easy it is to mess with their heads.

So... I gladly give the middle finger salute to EVERYONE that acts like a purple-helmet-head on the water. You know who you are. commercial licenses and without.

And.. since there are many of you out there that are considerate and noble on the water. I THANK YOU! You are welcome on my port anytime!

I'm actually not an angry guy. I had limited time to fish this summer and every time i went, there was someone that i wished would get voted off the planet.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Personally, I have never had any issues with the sporties. What I do have problems with are the sailboats, yachts, and yahoo privates who are fellow fisherman who usually have no common sense or are totally clueless. For my 30 years on the water, I have never crowded a sporty. Many times the sporties are welcome during a slow bite. They create chum and it gets the fishies excited.

How about when everyone are anchored or slow drifting and a PD comes flying through the chum lines. NOW that what eats me up more than anything.

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi SoCalDoug,

Thank you very much. As you can imagine, I'm also making a list of things private boaters intentionally or not do to sporties. I have NO axe to grind on either side, I'm more interested in knowing just what goes on and more importantly to identify a potential situation.

And yes .... I too have noticed a number of incidents with sailboats as well as PBers that were NOT fisherman, or divers.

Again this is not a rant thread .... just the facts is fine,

·
Registered
396 Posts
In the last year I can think of 3 sporties that did a no-no!!
At Pucky point a Seaforth boat ran between me and another boat and cut off both irons that were sinking-trying the catch yellows.
A Daveys Locker boat at Huntington flats dur
ing the sand bass bite came within 30 ft of us while on anchor goin full speed. Just off our stern.
Last was a charter 6 pac last week at Catalina off Eagle rock where he repositioned his boat near us and slid back right next to us-30 ft away. He asked us why K-man was takin his picture ?? DUH !!
Have to say that 3 times more PB did bad stuff during the year than sporties.
We even called in the Enterprise this summer out in the channel on a good Dodo bite.They got lots of hookups too.
Many great guys out there on paddies this summer that worked good together, and thanks to those that called us in too.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I've had very few problems with the sportboats. If I'm anchored on a productive spot before they arrive, I'm not moving. If a sportie thinks he's going to bully me out of a spot, think again. On the flip side, if I plan on fishing a spot already occuppied by sporto, I will avoid approaching their stern and will anchor no closer than 300ft away. I fish the island enough that I have found my own productive spots without having to fish with the fleet.

I would have to say that in most cases, its the privates that cause me the most anguish. Next it would have to be the PWC.

On a final note, if you expect people to treat you with respect on the water, you need to treat others with that same respect. This goes for privates and sporties alike.

Jeff
The Dalton Boys
21ft Parker

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I have never had any serious issues with sporties other then passing to close to me and nailing me with their wake...this happen twice at the Island and once outside of Dana...they come in slow, drop anchor, fish, then hall balls out of the area when the bite is off...right by me.....

For the most it is other Private Boaters and SAIL BOATS.

Private Boaters always seem to want to show off their ride, and find it necessary to cruise though your fishing area, either being between you and the shore, or you and another boat anchored up next to you...and they always seem to think the faster they pass you, the more impressed you will be.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
The only problem I've had with a sport boat was one that anchored too close to me, almost costing me the fish on a WSB bite.

Other than that, I can honestly say most of the problems I've had (which honestly have been few), were with other PB's runnng through the run line or through the bite half wide open.

For the most part, I guess I've been lucky.

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts